Stuff that occurs to me

All of my 'how to' posts are tagged here. The most popular posts are about blocking and private accounts on Twitter, also the science communication jobs list. None of the science or medical information I might post to this blog should be taken as medical advice (I'm not medically trained).

Think of this blog as a sort of nursery for my half-baked ideas hence 'stuff that occurs to me'.

Contact: @JoBrodie Email: jo DOT brodie AT gmail DOT com

Science in London: The 2018/19 scientific society talks in London blog post

Wednesday 25 January 2017

Simple-text list of London boroughs - plain text, alphabetised

Blank map of London boroughs. Wikipedia has more.


Updated 18 January 2021, adding extra files

I find I need this so often and keep having to process a list from Wikipedia or elsewhere that I've finally decided to add it here for copying and pasting. Each time I do this, and search for a list, I stupidly believe that I'll come across a list I think I saw once - but I never do. So here it is.

1. The Plain Text alphabetic version will parse downwards into one column in an Excel spreadsheet if you copy / paste it in.
2. The second version is numbered alphabetically. There are 32 London boroughs and City of London is a separate thing so 33 in total.
3. The third version is bullet points

Help yourself :)

A bonus file - a tab-separated version (.tab) which will parse the boroughs across 33 column headings (you never know when you'll need that!). It can be opened directly into an Excel sheet or can be opened as a text / notepad file and then the contents copied and pasted into Excel.

Other useful bits at the end.

1. Plain Text version (or download and save this .txt file)
Barking and Dagenham
Barnet
Bexley
Brent
Bromley
Camden
City of London
Croydon
Ealing
Enfield
Greenwich
Hackney
Hammersmith and Fulham
Haringey
Harrow
Havering
Hillingdon
Hounslow
Islington
Kensington and Chelsea
Kingston upon Thames
Lambeth
Lewisham
Merton
Newham
Redbridge
Richmond upon Thames
Southwark
Sutton
Tower Hamlets
Waltham Forest
Wandsworth
Westminster

2. Numbered alphabetically

  1. Barking and Dagenham
  2. Barnet
  3. Bexley
  4. Brent
  5. Bromley
  6. Camden
  7. City of London
  8. Croydon
  9. Ealing
  10. Enfield
  11. Greenwich
  12. Hackney
  13. Hammersmith and Fulham
  14. Haringey
  15. Harrow
  16. Havering
  17. Hillingdon
  18. Hounslow
  19. Islington
  20. Kensington and Chelsea
  21. Kingston upon Thames
  22. Lambeth
  23. Lewisham
  24. Merton
  25. Newham
  26. Redbridge
  27. Richmond upon Thames
  28. Southwark
  29. Sutton
  30. Tower Hamlets
  31. Waltham Forest
  32. Wandsworth
  33. Westminster
Note that Wikipedia has a numbered map of the London boroughs but orders them non-alphabetically (from the centre outwards) so be aware :) 
3. Bullet point version
  • Barking and Dagenham
  • Barnet
  • Bexley
  • Brent
  • Bromley
  • Camden
  • City of London
  • Croydon
  • Ealing
  • Enfield
  • Greenwich
  • Hackney
  • Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Haringey
  • Harrow
  • Havering
  • Hillingdon
  • Hounslow
  • Islington
  • Kensington and Chelsea
  • Kingston upon Thames
  • Lambeth
  • Lewisham
  • Merton
  • Newham
  • Redbridge
  • Richmond upon Thames
  • Southwark
  • Sutton
  • Tower Hamlets
  • Waltham Forest
  • Wandsworth
  • Westminster
Other useful bits
London borough mapping tool (eg if you've got 4 things in Lewisham and 10 in Sutton and want to map this with a colour-graded heatmap etc) - https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/excel-mapping-template-for-london-boroughs-and-wards

London schools atlas: https://maps.london.gov.uk/schools/




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment policy: I enthusiastically welcome corrections and I entertain polite disagreement ;) Because of the nature of this blog it attracts a LOT - 5 a day at the moment - of spam comments (I write about spam practices,misleading marketing and unevidenced quackery) and so I'm more likely to post a pasted version of your comment, removing any hyperlinks.

Comments written in ALL CAPS LOCK will be deleted and I won't publish any pro-homeopathy comments, that ship has sailed I'm afraid (it's nonsense).